Otherworlds - Judith Nicholls I'm not really sure how to rate a collection - by the content itself, or its selection and presentation?

For the first, Otherworlds contains a diverse patchwork of 'poems of the mysterious' - Walt Whitman, Dylan Thomas and Walter de la Mare all make welcome appearances, and the real biggies (Blake, Wordsworth, Keats, Shakespeare et al) are all well-represented. There are also a handful of lesser-known modern poets, which gives a nice variety.

As to the second, I'm not sure about the etiquette of including a number of the editor's own poems in a collection like this. It was a little jarring for me to find Nicholls' poetry alongside classics such as the Rime of the Ancient Mariner and the Tyger. I'm not trying to demean her ability, it just didn't sit well with me. Still, as I've said, I appreciated the diversity of the poetry included.

This is a book I'd happily give to my children, if I had any, and I'd recommend it to parents of older children or teenagers as a way of possibly getting them interested.